This is an amazing recipe that isn’t quite on-plan, but is still a healthy meal! It’s perfect for when you want a treat whilst doing one of our plans, but don’t want to undo all your hard work. You can use any beans you like, or take the beans out altogether if you prefer. It’s delicious served with garlic roasted broccoli and cauliflower rice. I usually make extra to serve with a baked sweet potato the next day, or with brown rice if I’m having it for lunch – the amounts below are for 4 portions. Enjoy!
For the BBQ Sauce:
- 500g passata
- 4tbsp tomato puree
- 1tbsp paprika
- 4tbsp honey
- 3tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1tbsp worcestershire sauce
For the Chicken:
- 1 onion, peeled and finely diced
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 can or 300g red kidney beans
- Add all ingredients for the BBQ sauce together in a bowl, and stir until combined
- Put the onion and chicken into your slow cooker or an oven proof pot with a lid, and pour the BBQ sauce over the top. The chicken should be just submerged in the sauce – if you need to top up with water you can do.
- Place the lid on the pot, and cook in the oven at 100C for 3 hours.
- Add the red kidney beans, replace the lid, and cook at 150C for a further 30 mins.
- If there is still lots of sauce in the pot, take the lid off, and cook at 180C for 20-30 mins or until the sauce has reduced